- provides support for adapting to the background of the specific user
- information in the different thesauri is accessible via a sophisticated GUI
- embedded world wide known ontologies and Metalife developed thesauri
- proprietary thesauri are integrated via import wizards embedded in the system
- no limitation on the number of thesauri to be used
- no limitation on the number of levels of hierarchy
- support of synonyms
- version control- allows access to multiple versions of the same thesauri
The scientists require the ability to use information from various sources in order to make meaningful discoveries. The rapid increase of many different types of data in different data sources, with different accessions, annotated with inconsistent terminology have made it hard for the average user to identify and coherently query scientific data stored in text. There are many heterogeneous autonomous resources that cover genomic, cellular, structure, phenotype and other biologically relevant information but there are a lot of differences between them- terminological, syntactic and semantic, not to mention the different meaning of identically named categories, overlapping meaning of different categories and conflicting meaning of different categories.
Until now if a researcher submits an ambiguous term to query a database he/she had the full responsibility to take care of the congruence of the search and the result. Ontologies help here to identify the right type of concept to be searched.
The advent of the micro array analysis for mRNAs added more requirements for terminology standardization. Another reason demanding the use of standards is the merging of fields that historically started as separate disciplines. The fast discovery of cellular, expression, structure, metabolic and regulatory data in many organisms puts additional pressure on utilizing compatible nomenclatures. Another field that benefits from the use of ontologies is the field of text mining and knowledge extraction from text. Where currently mostly statistical and proximity approaches are employed this approach can support parsing and disambiguating sentences and constructing grammatically compatible concepts.
Order installation of of Thesaurus Tool!
Metalife offers installation of local copy of its products upon licensing. Ordering a local copy benefits private users with the following extra advantages:
- Data security ensured by the management of all analyses and sources locally in your organization's secured network.
- Impossibility of competitor companies to track down your searches in public resources and reveal your interests.
- Custom development of project specific GUI features, new functionalities, DB sources.
- Completely new decisions implementation upon request.